Thursday, April 3, 2014

Pachelbel, Boob Jobs, and Visitors!

The signal for the students to enter or leave the school is always three different songs (one in the morning, one for recess, and one when school dismisses).  The songs generally play for a week or two and then they switch to new ones.  This week the songs changed thankfully; because hearing "Wrecking Ball" every day as I exited the school was not my favorite way to end my day.  The morning song is now Pachelbel's Canon in D, which for some reason made me feel like I was walking down the isle for a wedding followed by a herd of children.  I'm always intrigued by the song selections.  From what I've noticed, it seems like the morning song is generally instrumental (a nice calming way to begin the day).  The song played at the start and end of recess is generally a song sung in Spanish.  And the final song of the day is usually a fairly famous pop song.  I typically enjoy the last song of the day.  I find it a fun way to exit the school! 
Yesterday one of the first graders told the class that her mother was getting new boobs.  The professor asked the student if something was wrong with her mother's breasts or if she was sick.  And the student simply replied with "No! They are just too small!"  Not quite sure the message that's sending to a six year old girl, but to each their own!  Then the student told us that she had to do her homework at the beauty salon because her mother wants to look good when she goes to the hospital for her surgery.  I'm digging this woman's priorities!  The professor and I continued to giggle as this student excitedly told us all about her family's fairly intimate going ons.  
On Wednesday, as the students and I were settling in to begin school, the phone rang.  Apparently I was going to be accompanying the fourth graders on the recycling field trip I had recently gone on with the third graders.  I was pretty confused because I only see the fourth graders once a week on Fridays and because I would be assisting the Spanish teacher.  Aka there would be basically no English spoken the whole day and I'd be with a class I rarely deal with while my other classes would be missing an entire day of having an English assistant.  While it was nice that I got to go on a field trip (who doesn't love those?), I was a little disappointed I wouldn't be with my regular classes.  And I was also swindled out of two of the three breaks I get a week.  But spending more time with the fourth graders was fun because their level of English allows for decent conversations!  Turns out because of the size of the class, two chaperons were required and I was the lucky expendable person! 
My friends Emily (a friend I met in high school) and Mara (a friend I met through Emily) are coming to Madrid this week!  I'm beyond excited!  I haven't seen either of them in a while and I'm thrilled to experience Spain with them.  I plan on writing a post about this later so I won't give away all our plans yet.  However I leave for Poland, the Czech Republic, and Germany on Friday (they leave on Saturday), so I'm not sure when that will be coming.  I'm contemplating perhaps doing a daily blog for a week, but that will all depend on how exhausted I am each day!  But this is one part of my life in Spain I want to be well documented so I can always look back and remember it!  All I can say is it's going to be a few jam packed weeks for me starting tomorrow! 
On another note, this week marks the three month count down until I return back to the USA!  I had to start looking into flights, which makes the situation a reality rather than just a quick thought that passes through my brain.  I'm excited to head home, sad to be leaving, and nervous to see what the future holds.  But I'm just going to try to continue enjoying my time here rather than worrying too much about the months to come!  (But don't worry Mom and Dad, I will be trying to get some sort of plan figured out for my future!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment