Thursday, October 17, 2013

Cervantes Festival and Ecuadorian Food!

This weekend Clark and I returned to Alcala de Henares for a Cervantes festival.  While there was only one real Cervantes reference that I saw (Don Quixote mustache croissants), it was an interesting experience.  Rather than a Cervantes festival, I would call it a medieval fair.  There was fresh food being cook in stalls all along the main streets.  Some of the delicious items included crepes, loaves of bread, donuts, kebabs, plenty of sausages, and all kinds of sandwiches.  There was a medieval ride section which featured a ferris wheel and a swinging boat.  There was also donkey rides for children.  We just meandered through the stalls that were also selling a plethora of items such as spices, jewelry, and olive wood cooking utensils.  I thought it was really interesting to think about how back in Cervantes' time this is how people acquired things: going to town markets that had several stalls selling items they needed.
The night before the festival Clark and I decided to try an Ecuadorian restaurant (Ecuadorians are actually the largest group of immigrants in Spain I believe, so there were a few restaurants to choose from!).  The restaurant, Casa Ecuatoriana, is about three blocks from my house! The food was delicious.  Along with our drinks (batido/smoothie de guanabana), they gave us tostada and chifles, two foods I had been missing! Needless to say it was a great dinner filled with nostalgia! It made me miss all of my ecuadorian friends (those who are actually ecuadorian and the american friends I met there).
Once again this stupid site does not want to upload my photos! Click here to see my photos on flickr (and let me know if you can see them by shooting me an email)

No comments:

Post a Comment