Saturday, January 18, 2014

Excuses and Clean Rooms

Yesterday one of the professors and I were discussing a new student who joined our school.  She is in fourth grade and still doesn't know how to read or write in Spanish.  I find this crazy.  But she is not alone.  There are several gypsy kids in our school who are illiterate.  It's heartbreaking to see for me, but it's also fairly common place.  Then the professor told me that a student's dad came in the other day and informed the school that his daughter hadn't been in school for the past month because it was too cold outside to travel to school.  I don't understand how this is a valid excuse for truancy, but apparently it flies here.  Perhaps this is why so many gypsies cannot read or write, they don't come to school because of trivial things like the weather being a little brisk (it's certainly no polar vortex here!).
I had a private lesson at my apartment today so I cleaned my room up a bit more than usual.  Raquel saw this and came in with a big smile and said "Oh, how beautiful. So much better than I can do!".  I reassured her that was not the case.  I'm not quite sure how to take this; perhaps she thinks I'm a slob and was surprised by how clean it now was.  However, my room is generally fairly clean.  Maybe making my bed makes all the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment