Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Teaching and Favorite Students

We had another orientation for the Auxiliares program.  Apparently several people have just come to Spain to start this program (I think some auxiliares left and then I'm sure some people were just receiving their assignments because this program is not always quite on top of everything, but it is a massive program so it's understandable).  So I thought the orientation was going to be geared towards them and essentially be a repeat of the October orientation.  Thankfully it was not.  They had two teachers present about teaching in a bilingual classroom.  The first teacher I could tell was an amazing teacher.  She showed us the lesson plans she creates for each class/topic.  She explained that since English was not the students' first language some concepts are very difficult for them to understand, thus very hands-on and kinesthetic learning is necessary.  Try teaching/learning sound (tone, pitch, etc.)  in a language in which you aren't fluent.  (It reminded me of when I took French in Ecuador, aka I was learning another language in a classroom that did not speak my native tongue).  Not only do the students have English classes, but they learn science and art in English at my school (at some schools, even more subjects are taught in English).  Comparing the English and Science books, you can tell there is a different level of English being used and a different 'language' so to speak.  The science books use a very scientific language (an igneous rock consists of materials formed within the earths surface, blah blah blah verses he's got a sweater).  So without taking this into account, students can become very frustrated because they do not understand what the text is saying because the English they are taught is conversational/functional English rather than scientific English.  Therefore, the hands-on learning is integral to their learning.
The second teacher was a little more on the odd side, but still interesting.  However, she did tell us we needed to speak clearly and with as little of an accent as possible.  I don't quite know what she is reffering to because in theory that means I should try for a British accent...(which is still an accent), or does she mean I should try for what I've been told is accent-less English aka the Midwestern English I already speak.  This is also the exact opposite of what the previous teacher said.  She enjoyed different accents because that is what happens in the real world and it is actually helpful to the kids she believes.
One of my favorite students said I looked pretty today.  It's not surprising she's one of my favorites!  I was just wearing black leggings, a white shirt, and a black sweater, but several of the girls said I was looking beautiful that day.  I'll have to remember that outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment