Wednesday, January 8, 2014

First Day Back

School started today and it was so great to see all of the students again.  There were only two classes in which we actually got right back into the swing of things, aka reviewing and learning new vocabulary.  The first one was with one of the first grade classes and we were learning words for clothes.  That is one of the harder sections for us Americans to teach because the British use different words for some articles of clothing.  So every flashcard that came up, I had to look at the professor to make sure I was using the correct word.  Trousers and jumper are the words I constantly forget aren't pants and sweater. My favorite moment of this class was when I showed the card for socks and a student said with gusto "calcis" (calcetines is the spanish word for socks)!  The second class was my second graders, and as usual I split off with half the class.  And let's just say, the kids were not in the mood to learn.  I thought their enthusiasm to see might mean they would be respectful and behave during class.  This certainly was not the case! They were a bunch of chatty cathy's and they seem to have forgotten that I "don't speak spanish" because all of them kept rattling of sentences in spanish while I gave them blank stares.
I bought some stickers with english words on them (good job, fantastic, great, etc.) to give to the teachers as a Christmas/New Years gift.  Most of the professors were quite excited.  However, this was one teachers response: "they're neat, but there are so few...".  I then pointed out that there were actually 75 (which is not a huge amount, but he doesn't even have 40 students that he teaches and I'm not made of money!) and not just the 15 he could see.  I kind of knew this professor wouldn't be ecstatic about my gift (I even thought about not giving him any haha), but I was nice and gave him some anyways.  Oh well, if he doesn't want them, he can just give them right back!
I'm quite excited to be back at my school and thankfully the weather has gotten better! Hopefully it stays this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment