Friday, January 10, 2014

Trying to post more frequently, aka I have no idea for a title

I'm not one to really make New Year's resolutions.  I actually can't recall ever making any.  Maybe it's because I try to improve myself throughout the year, not just at the beginning.  More than likely it's because I'm a procrastinator and contemplating and writing a list by a certain date does not quite fit in my schedule! But one thing I will be trying to do is update this blog a little more consistently, so my parents know I'm alive and everyone doesn't have to think that maybe my blog isn't working for them since the last update they can see is from over a month ago!
A few interesting things have happened this week.  As I was walking a group of students back to the classroom, the music teacher stopped me and had me follow him into a classroom to see one of the first graders dance to Michael Jackson's "Beat It".  That kid was fantastic.  I think he dreams of either joining a boy band or being the next Justin Bieber.  This was the same student that had me play a Big Time Rush music video while he whispered the lyrics and secretly danced to it.  He also likes to ask me if I'm going to watch the Real Madrid games, so I always know what days they are on now without having to look them up!  Needless to say, he's one of my favorites.
I only have class with fourth graders once a week, the last two periods on Fridays.  So I don't see them often, but I really enjoy it.  I work with the professor frequently with first graders, yet he's much more entertaining with the fourth graders.  It's probably because they have a decent grasp on English so it's easier to converse and joke around.  Today we were talking about wonders of the world.  There is a kid, Gabriel, who seems to be obsessed with Washington D.C.  He also asked me for a US dollar which I unfortunately do not have.  But as we were talking about some wonders of the world, he kept mentioning capital monuments such as the Washington Monument (which he called the Washington Tower) and the Lincoln Memorial (which he called the Lincoln Statue).  When the teacher asked who knew how to spell "twice", Gabriel raised his hand and said he thought he knew.  So the teacher then said, "If you get it wrong we will barbecue you, and have grilled Gabriel for lunch."  Unsurprisingly, he did not know how to spell it.  Fortunately, he was not barbecued.  The professor as called him strange and weird, as a joke.  Sometimes being in a Spanish classroom makes me think what would happen if these things occurred in an American classroom.  Most of them conclude with me assuming the teacher would be out of job.  As I was leaving Gabriel asked me if I had heard "Thrift Shop" and I said yes and all he said was, "There are so many bad words," and then giggled profusely.  (For those of you who haven't heard "Thrift Shop" but would like to, heres a link to the music video)
In my spare time, I'm also trying to brush up on my French.  I have the duolingo app on my phone and I practice whenever I remember I want to be trilingual.  If I can get enough down, it will be handy when we go to Lyon in a few weeks.  Also going to Brussels (where they speak French, Dutch, and English) made me remember how great the French language can sound.  Perhaps one day I'll be able to not only speak French but also master their delightful accent!


No comments:

Post a Comment